NYSE Analytics 04/28
Spyder ETF grows before NYSE opening bell.
- European Indexes are in positive side
SPY (intraday chart) uptrend at premarket. Resistance: 187.50 , Support: 187.00
- In reaction to strong earnings/guidance: TGE +10.7%, GLW +3.8%, BWP +1.5%, AHGP +0.6% (light volume).
- M&A news: SUSS +33.4% (Susser to be acquired by Energy Transfer Partners in a unit and cash transaction valued at a total consideration of ~ $1.8 bln; shareholders of Susser will have the option to elect to receive either $80.25 in cash or 1.4506 ETP common units, or a combination of both, for each share held ), FURX +27.9% (Forest Laboratories to Acquire Furiex Pharmaceuticals for $1.1 Billion in Cash to Build on a Leading Position in Gastroenterology), AZN +16% and PFE +1.7% (Pfizer confirms prior discussions with AstraZeneca (AZN) regarding a possible combination and its continuing interest in a possible merger transaction), MRK +0.7% (Merck is in discussions to sell consumer healthcare unit for $14 bln; Bayer (BAYRY) & Reckitt (RBGLY) may be in lead to buy it, according to reports), .
- Other biotech/pharma names trading higher boosted by news/ongoing M&A in sector: GWPH +12.7% (announces that Sativex receives Fast Track Designation from FDA in cancer pain), ACST +6.2% (Neptune Technologies and Enzymotec conclude final patent infringement settlement ad license agreement), ISIS +4.9%, CYTR +2.6% (CytRx to Present Completed Phase 1b/2 Progression-Free Survival and Overall Survival Aldoxorubicin Data in Second-Line Soft Tissue Sarcoma at Upcoming Research and Development Day), SNY +2.2% (reports the first of two pivotal Phase III efficacy studies with its dengue vaccine candidate has achieved its primary clinical endpoint), NVS +1.2% (Barron’s profiles positive view on NVS and GSK), SHPG +1.6% , PCYC +2.0%, ZTS +2.0% (Barron’s profiles positive view on ZTS )
- Social media related names showing strength: TWTR +1%, SINA +0.7%, LNKD +0.7% (despite cautious Barron’s mention).
- Battery names trading higher: BLDP +4.1%, PLUG +1.5%, TSLA +1.5% (Tesla Motors and Alibaba to team up in China, according to reports)
- Other news: YOKU +10.4% (Youku Tudou announces $1.22 bln investment led by Alibaba Group), MNGA +8.5% (hired Jose Prieto of Miami, Florida as a Sales Executive promoting MagneGas fuel and equipment into South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean), ONVO +6.3% ( Announces Pre-Release Availability of 3D Liver Contract Services), SUSP +5% (following SUSS / ETP news), OIBR +3.6% (still checking), PPG +3.5% (positive MadMoney mention), P +2.1% (modestly rebounding), HLF +2% (MA AG Secretary Galvin warns of illegal pyramid schemes disguised as multi-level marketing businesses), FEYE +2% ( Russian hackers may respond to sanctions with attacks, according to reports ), YNDX +1.8% (russia stocks modestly rebounding), RCL +0.9% (still checking), YHOO +0.6% (Youku Tudou announces $1.22 bln investment led by Alibaba Group), JKS +0.6% (signs supply agreement for 21.09MW with China Southern Power Grid), GE +0.5% (issues statement on meeting with French government; says ‘dialogue was open, friendly and productive’ ), AAPL +0.2% (Apple preparing for $17 bln bond sale, according to reports), WHR +0.2% (Barron’s profiles positive view on Whirlpool) .
- Analyst comments: SGMS +2.7% ( initiated with a Overweight at JP Morgan), F +0.8% (upgraded to Buy from Hold at Craig Hallum ), DDD +0.7% (Brean Capital continues to view DDD as very attractive), DECK +0.5% (upgraded to Neutral from Underperform at Credit Suisse)
- In reaction to disappointing earnings/guidance: SOHU -5.7%, HAE -2.9% (ticking lower), CYOU -2.4%, EDU -2%, NOV -1.1%.
- M&A news: MYL -2.7% (Meda AB Board of Directors decided to reject Mylan’s proposal to combine the two businesses ), NEM -5.5% (Newmont terminates merger discussions with ABX), .
- A few European financial related names showing modest weakness: NBG -2.5%, AIBYY -2.1%, RBS -1.8% .
- Select metals/mining stocks trading lower: RIO -1.9%, VALE -1.6%, GFI -1.2%, BHP -1.1%, BBL -0.7%, SLV -0.5%, GLD -0.2%, GDX -0.2%.
- Other news: ATHX -52.4% (announces results from Phase 2 study of multistem cell therapy for ulcerative colitis; multistem demonstrates good tolerability and safety profile but fails to show efficacy over 8 weeks in patients with chronic, advanced ulcerative colitis), OGXI -47.4% (Teva Pharma and OncoGenex announce survival results of Phase III SYNERGY Trial; addition of custirsen to standard first-line docetaxel/prednisone therapy did not meet primary endpoint), POZN -28.8% (PA8140/PA32540 receives a Complete Response letter from FDA citing issues at a facility of a third party supplier of an active ingredient ), NBG -2.5% (still checking), SI -1.8% (Siemens AG submits letter to the Board of Alstom (ALSMY) to signal its willingness to discuss future strategic opportunities; also Siemens AG plans to sell VAI unit to Mitsubishi Heavy (MHVYF), according to reports ), GLOG -0.6% (announces commencement of an IPO of 8.4 mln common units representing limited partnership interests ), ILMN -0.4% (Illumina files new patent infringement suit against Ariosa Diagnostics).
- Analyst comments: APD -0.7% (downgraded to Underweight from Neutral at Atlantic Equities), BCE -0.3% (downgraded to Sector Perform at RBC Capital Mkts)
Trading Ideas NYSE & NASDAQ:
- YOKU – long above 26.00
- AZN – short below 80.00
- YNDX – long above premarket high
- SOHU – long above 55.00, short below premarket low
- NEM – long above 25.00